Home
News
History
Contacts
Membership
Fleet
Events
Web Albums
Media Files
Area of Interest
Incidents
Links
Email Login
Forums
A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE NANTY GLO F.D.

1913- Charter was granted to the Nanty Glo Fire Company No. 1

1914- The first fire equipment secured for the department by the borough was a hand drawn hose cart with 500 feet of hose. This cart is still in working order today and is stored in the fire station. Later that year a Ford chemical truck was added.

1915- During the first year of operation, the department joined the Northern Cambria County Firemen's Association which later became the Volunteer Firemen's Association of Cambria County and Vicinity.

1922- The Borough purchased a Reo pumper. This small piston pump established an enviable record during the flood of 1936. It was used for 86 consecutive hours to pump flooded buildings in Johnstown.

1925- Host to the 4th annual convention of the Volunteer Firemen's Association of Cambria County and Vicinity.

1927- A 750 G.P.M. American La France rotary gear pumper was purchased by the borough. This pumper set efficiency records for many years throughout the county.

1928- The fire dept. formed its relief association.

1935- Host to the 14th annual convention of the Volunteer Firemen's Association of Cambria County and Vicinity.

1939- The department constructed a building which housed the fire apparatus and a large social quarters.

1941- The department purchased a 500 G.P.M. Mack pumper with 400 Gallon tank.

1945- host to the 24th annual convention of the Volunteer Firemen's Association of Cambria County and Vicinity.

1947- A Chevrolet Squad Truck was purchased.

1948- A New 750 G.P.M. Mack pumper was purchased to replace the 1941 Mack pumper.

1953- Another 750 G.P.M. Mack pumper was added to the fleet.

1955- Host to the 34th annual convention of the Volunteer Firemen's Association of Cambria County and Vicinity.

1956- A two way radio communications system was installed.

1960- A Willys Jeep was purchased and equipped with a 100 G.P.M. front mounted pump and a 100 gallon tank.

1961- The pump off the American La France was mounted to a Mack chassis giving the department its third 750 G.P.M. pumper.

1965- Host to the 44th annual convention of the Volunteer Firemen's Association of Cambria County and Vicinity.

1967- The dept. purchased a Dodge 4 wheel drive squad truck with a front mounted winch. And a Dodge 45 foot aerial ladder truck.

1973- The 1957 Mack pumper was converted to a 1700 gallon tanker.

1975- Host to the 54th annual convention of the Volunteer Firemen's Association of Cambria County and Vicinity.

1977- A new Mack CF600 1000 G.P.M. pumper was purchased.

1979- The 1948 Mack pumper was sold.

1982- The department began a massive building expansion program including a new engine room, rest rooms, a compressor room, meeting room and a new kitchen.

1983- On April 10, at a total project cost of $265,000.00 the department dedicated and moved into the new quarters. Also that year a 5000 psi. air compressor was added.

1985- Host to the 64th annual convention of the Volunteer Firemen's Association of Cambria County and Vicinity.

1986- In July the department took delivery of a Mack Tanker/pumper that was ordered in 1984.

1988- The dept. began the change of breathing apparatus from Scott to MSA. The dept was also host of the 67th annual convention of the Volunteer Firemen's Association of Cambria County and Vicinity.

1990- The dept. purchased a Heavy Rescue from Berwyen Heights Fire Dept. in Prince Georges County of Maryland. The unit was refurbished by Bruco Body Co. and is currently in service.

1992- The dept. purchased a 100 foot ladder truck From the City of Concord, New Hampshire. This unit was also refurbished by Bruco and was put in service later that year for $175,000.00.

1993- The dept. purchased a 1985 GMS Suburban Personnel Carrier. The Dodge squad was sold.

1995- The dept. entered an $85.000.00 contract with J.C. Moore Industries of Fredonia, PA to refurbish and enclose the cab of the 1977 Mack. Host to the 74th annual convention of the Volunteer Firemen's Association of Cambria County and Vicinity.

1997- After 27 years as Fire Chief Tom Waltz retired from office and is a life member of the company.

2000- In September the dept. took delivery of a Spartan/4Guys pumper. This truck is equipped with a 10 man cab, 1750 Hale Q-Max Pump, 10kw hydraulic generator, 1100 ft. 5 in. supply line total cost (equipped) $341,000.00

2001- The dept hosted The 109th Annual convention of the Central District Firemen's Assoc.

2005- The department hosted the 113th Annual convention of the Central District Firemen's Association